SmartAssembly 6 Eval. not recognizing .Net Framework 4.5

sewdevkssewdevks Posts: 2
edited January 14, 2015 12:13PM in SmartAssembly
I'm trying latest version of SmartAssembly 6 Evaluation but when creating a new project by opening an .Net EXE file SmartAssembly doesn't recognize the locally installed .Net Framework 4.5.
EXE file was created on another computer with Visual Studio 2013 targeting .Net Framework 4.5 full.
I'm unable to work with that EXE file. How to tell SmartAssembly that .Net Framework 4.5 is installed? OS is Windows 7 Pro x64 with all available updates.

Comments

• Hi,
    Early next week we expect to release SmartAssembly 6.9, which contains improved support for .NET 4.5, and also support for .NET 4.5.1 and 4.5.2.
    This new release should resolve your problem.
    Please click 'Check for updates' in SmartAssembly 6.8 next week to receive the update.
    Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • We use the SmartAssembly.com commandline version to perform obfuscation and have found that this seems to be working ok with .NET 4.5 assemblies even though the UI refuses to work.

Is the problem only in the UI or is it also in the command line version - i.e. should be be concerned about the .NET 4.5 assemblies that we have obfuscated using the command line?
  • Hi CSXPJC,

'Should we be concerned about the .NET 4.5 assemblies that we have obfuscated using the command line?'
    - No, the nature of the problem in SA 6.8 and earlier was that it would either fail to find the framework assemblies or it would work. If the command line tool output an assembly, therefore, they will have been obfuscated. You can check this using our Obfuscation Checker tool if you wish.

'Is the problem only in the UI or is it also in the command line version?'
    - The problem was the SmartAssembly didn't know where to find the .NET 4.5 framework files in versions earlier than SmartAssembly 6.9. This would have affected both the UI and the command line. However, if you were running SmartAssembly from the command line, you probably already had a valid .saproj file that you called. If you happened not to reference the framework DLLs in that .saproj file, SmartAssembly might not have needed to find the .NET 4.5 DLLs, and in that case it would have worked.

As I say, SmartAssembly 6.9 contains full support for .NET 4.5 (including 4.5.1 and 4.5.2).

Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.