Database Distribution List Sort

dsheerindsheerin Posts: 7 Bronze 2
edited September 25, 2008 1:26PM in SQL Multi Script
Is there a workaround for sorting a database distribution list? I've looked for registry entries and config files with the distribution list information but have not been able to find where it is stored. I have hundreds of servers and having them out of order can be maddening at times.

I know that there is a enhancement request to get this functionality in a future release, but until then is there anything I can do to get my servers ordered in a way that I can locate one in a long distribution list.

Comments

• Hi,

The distribution lists are stored in two files, both located in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Multi Script

Application.dat contains all the distribution lists you've got configured, and Project.sms contains (amongst other things) the actively selected one. I'd advise selecting a different distribution list than the one you want to edit, and exiting SQL Multi Script, before making any changes to Application.dat, or it might fall out of sync.

Note that editing these files by hand isn't something we support, and could end up leaving the application in an "interesting" state, but you should be able to just delete them and get back to a default state if anything does go wrong. Better yet, take a backup of them before doing anything!

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Yes! That worked perfectly. I made a backup of the Application.dat file just in case but it wasn't needed. :D I hope that RedGate will get around to making the enhancement to allow for sorting of the distribution lists sometime in the near future. This work around will do for now.

Thanks Robert.