Options

SQL Data Compare Script as Scheduled Task

MKMK Posts: 2
Hi,
I'm evaluating SQL Data Compare (SQL Comparison and Synchronization Toolkit v 3.10), trying to do the following:
I want to execute a batch file (replication.bat) on a Windows 2000 Server SP4 with SQL 2000 SP3 as a Scheduled task every 15 minutes, which compares a local database with a database on a remote server (as well Windows 2000 Server SP4 with SQL Server 2000 SP3) and then synchronizes the two databases. I'm using the trial version.
When I execute replication.bat from the command prompt the trial window pops up, and I have to hit the OK button to continue the process. Here the synchronization works fine.
But if I now try to program this batch file as a Scheduled task, nothing happens. No Data Compare, no Synchronization, no Trial pop up.
Is that a "feature" of the trial version? Can I only do this in the full version???
Please help!!!!
Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Best regards,
Michael

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Michael,

Because the trial version always presents a dialogue which is essentially a 'nag requester', you'd need to have the registered version of the tools to use them from a batch file.

It may well work to use Windows Task Scheduler's option to 'only run when the user is logged on', but that would require you to always be logged in to the machine when the scheduled task runs.
This discussion has been closed.