Backup over internet

friosfrios Posts: 3
edited September 25, 2008 12:37PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Is it possible to backup a SQL database's log file over the internet to a remote server using this product? If so, can someone describe how this is done? I am trying to decide if this is the product for me.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Technically, you can. The destination folder needs to be a network share accessible by the SQL Backup Agent service startup account. Run a backup as you normally would to a network share e.g.
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP LOG pubs TO DISK = [\\remote\backups\<AUTO>]" '

However, I wouldn't recommend doing due to network stability issues. What I would suggest doing is to back up to a local disk first, then use the CopyTool or FtpTool utilities to transfer the files over to the remote server. See here for details on those 2 utilities. In this way, a backup is always made, and the files will eventually be transferred to the remote share if the network is stable.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks for the response. I do already make a local backup. I am looking for a way to make an additional backup on a remote device.

Your description below seems to indicate that the machine would have to have some sort of VPN connection to the remote backup destination. Is that correct?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    A VPN would allow you to get into a remote network, and map to one or more network shares on that remote network securely. This would then allow you to back up or copy the files to the network share.

If you use FTPTool, you need to be able to reach the remote machine via FTP, which requires the machine to be running a FTP server.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8