Options

Copyto Retry count

djheathdjheath Posts: 6 Bronze 1
edited September 23, 2014 11:24AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I am using the CopyTo keyword to copy the backup files to a secondary offsite server after each backup. Yesterday, the primary file location server was rebuilt, before the jobs could be cleanly stopped, meaning a number of backup files were not copied to the secondary location and these backup files are now no longer in the primary server source location. The problem is, the CopyTo process is still trying to copy these files which do not exist and sending an email every time it cannot find a file to copy. For a number of servers, this is resulting in 1000's of emails being sent every few minutes.

The subsequent backup jobs are all working fine now. I have stopped and restarted the SQL backup agent service on each SQL server, but still the emails keep coming.

How can I stop Redgate backup from trying to copy files which no longer exist? Is there a limit to how many tries the CopyTo process will attempt to copy the files? It is currently up to attempt 1356, for roughly 60 databases! (A lot of email notifications!)

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I seem to have resolved this issue by setting the Backup log files and history log files retention to only 1 day. This has stopped the retries of the old incomplete jobs.