Restore backup on other server; SQL Backup needed as well?

slarochelleslarochelle Posts: 5
edited September 17, 2008 11:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
If I have taken a backup from one server using SQL Backup 5 and want to restore that backup on any one of potentially 10 other servers, does that mean I need SQL Backup installed on those 10 servers? I saw a FAQ on how to restore a backup taken on server A to server B, but could not tell if it was assumed SQL Backup was installed on server B.

Comments

• Thank you for your post into the forum.

There are two options open to you.

1. If you wish to use SQL Backup to perform the restore, then the answer is yes, you need to install SQL Backup onto the restoring server.

2. If you do not wish to install SQL Backup onto the restoring server, you can use the sqb2mtf.exe utility to convert the file from our format to Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) and then use native Microsoft SQL Server backup/restore to restore the file.

You will find a command line version of the sqb2mtf utility in the installtion folder your machine that has the SQL Backup GUI installed by default in this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup

Alternatively we have a GUI version of the sqb2mtf, which is available for download using this link:

http://labs.red-gate.com/index.php/SQL_ ... _Converter

Or use the CONVERT command from a new query window in SSMS or Query Analyzer:

EXECUTE master..sqlback '-SQL ''CONVERT 'C:\Backups\pubs.sqb' TO 'C:\Backups\pubs.bak' '' '

The SQL Backup Help file conatins further advice on the use of the CONVERT command and the sqb2mtf utility.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com