Options

SQLBackup with SAP

wdwd Posts: 25
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can tell me if I can use SQLBackup with an SAP database. I know that it is technically possible, but I have heard that SAP are very particular about 3rd Party products touching their systems.

Has anyone here got any experience with this, or can the people from Redgate confirm that the tool is "allowed" to be used on SAP?

Many thanks

wd

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Providing that the database used is Microsoft SQL Server and SQL Backup has sufficient security permissions, I suspect there will be no issues backing up the database.

You need to be aware of the SAP specific stuff outside of the SQL database, for example, logins and permissions. System objects or other objects that the SAP adds to the database. Restoring or recovery of the database and restarting or reconnecting the SAP software.

We have no experience dealing with SAP databases, therefore I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you test SQL Backup with SAP in a test environment before installing SQL Backup to your production server or servers.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Eddie,

many thanks for the answer, I thought as much as you have confirmed.

SAP said that we can use it at our own risk, as your tool is not certified by SAP - that might be a good idea for you guys to do. SAP Backups are just stupid big!! Maybe they want to wait for 2k8 with native compression?

My boss would like to know how "safe" SQLBackup is. I read on your website that you are a Microsoft Gold Partner. To make my boss and our MDs happy, they would like to know if SQLBackup is certified/licensed (or whatever) with Microsoft to determine supportability.

Could you say anything to that?

Regards

William
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

I will submit a feature request for us to consider seeking SAP certification.

The following link is to user testimonials we have published on our web site:

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Ba ... onials.htm

To help you understand how Red Gate SQL Backup performs a backup, I have added some simple notes to explain the similarities between a backup performed by native SQL Server backup and one performed by Red Gate SQL Backup:

1. SQL Backup makes use of the SQL Server Virtual Device Interface(VDI), that Microsoft supply for third party backup / restore software to communicate with SQL Server.

2. When you perform a backup using native SQL Server, you issue a T-SQL BACKUP command to SQL Server, with the relevant options set.

SQL Server then generates the relevant backup data and writes them out to disk or tape.

3. When you perform a backup using SQL Backup, SQL Backup issues a T-SQL BACKUP command to SQL Server, with the relevant options. The command is almost similar to that used when using native SQL Server backup. One difference is that instead of the DISK option, SQL Backup uses the VIRTUAL_DEVICE option e.g.
    BACKUP DATABASE pubs TO VIRTUAL_DEVICE = '<some unique value>' WITH DIFFERENTIAL

4. SQL Server then generates the relevant backup data, but does not write it out to disk or tape. Instead, it informs SQL Backup where the backup data can be found. SQL Backup then compresses this data, optionally encrypts it, and writes it out to disk.

5. The backup data is generated by SQL Server in all cases. SQL Backup does not generate any backup data.

6. The backup data that is generated by SQL Server is identical in both the above cases.

7. Because the backup data is identical, you can perform the same tasks using SQL Backup as you would using native SQL Server backups e.g.

a. Perform full, differential, transaction log, partial, filegroup backups and restores, STOPAT, PAGE restores etc, as long as SQL Backup supports the required SQL Server option.

b. Run RESTORE VERIFYONLY, RESTORE HEADERONLY, RESTORE FILELISTONLY commands.

c. Backup a SQL Server 2000 database and restore the database on a SQL Server 2005 instance.

You can download and evaluate a full working copy SQL Backup Professional Edition for 14 days, to see if it is suitable for your needs. If required we can extend this evaluation period.

As per my previous reply, if you do decide to evaluate SQL Backup, I recommend that you evaluate SQL Backup in a test environment.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Eddie,

thanks again for the info. We are already among your (very) happy customers and use SQLBackup on 5 SQL Servers with about 25 databases.

We are currently struggling with the SAP databases as the native backups are already 190GB. We have tested SQLBackup on our testbed and had no problems, but being as it is SAP (Accounting part) the MDs and my IT Manager are a bit shakey about the robustness of SQLBackup.

I am perfectly happy with your product, I am just trying to get some sort of info to placate them. Like I wrote before; you are Gold Partners with Microsoft. My manager asked me to find out if SQLBackup is certified by Microsoft as being 100% compatible (or something similar along those lines).

This sort of information would be enough for them to say that the MS-Certificate is "good enough", even if SAP don't allow the use of SQLBackup.

Many thanks,

William
  • Options
    Hi William,

My name is Simon Johnson and I am the Deputy Head of Sales at Red Gate. SQL Backup is not certified by Microsoft. Although we are probably the most prominent ISV (independent software vendor) in the SQL Server space, we're completely independent of Microsoft, and Microsoft has no equity or stake in Red Gate. We do, however, have a very close relationship with people at Microsoft, due to the nature of our business, and this helps us to understand each other's technology.

Red Gate Software is a Microsoft Certified Partner and a Visual Studio Industry Partner (VSIP). Red Gate was also chosen as a Microsoft Gold Visual Studio .NET launch partner.

I realise that that this is not all related to SQL Backup, however you can rest assured that our support department will do everything they can to support any issues you encounter.

I hope this makes things a little clearer.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail over the phone, please call me on:

1 866 RED GATE
    0800 169 7433

Thanks William,

Simon.
  • Options
    wd wrote:
    I was wondering if someone can tell me if I can use SQLBackup with an SAP database. I know that it is technically possible, but I have heard that SAP are very particular about 3rd Party products touching their systems.
    Just to add to the other postings: SQL Backup only accesses SQL Server data through supported APIs. As such, I can't imagine why this would cause any issue with SAP.

Best regards,

Colin.
  • Options
    sanjulysanjuly Posts: 1
    edited July 10, 2010 5:33AM
    How do you get tree sap out of a cat's fur? My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat. He came home one night covered in tree sap. Is there anything that I can wash him with that will not hurt him but get the sap out?
    Apparently, thoroughly soaking the area with olive oil, making sure you work the oil into any sticky hard bits works well, and then wash liberally with shampoo after.

This isn't really the right place for this sort of question though, may I suggest the below forum for future problems along these lines:

http://www.terrificpets.com/forum/23111.asp

:-)

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569