Windows 2003 - IIS 6 - Host Headers (repost)

Hi,

Do you have any tips on how to get ANTS Profiler working with the following setup:

Windows 2003
IIS 6
Site hosted on port 80 using Host Headers
Non-default app pool.

Thanks,

Gavin

Comments

• Seems I have to manually start the web site I want to profile after the profiler has restarted IIS?
  • Event logs says:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1093
    Date: 02/02/2005
    Time: 16:22:26
    User: N/A
    Computer: NTS09
    Description:
    Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process. The ASP.NET cache will be unable to limit its memory use, which may lead to a process restart. Error: 0x80070003

IE says:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /agent.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Gavin,

It appears that the W3WP.exe process recycles after ANTS Profiler starts it. Once that happens, I believe that the code is no longer instrumented, so we need to prevent this from happening.

What are the settings on the Recycling tab of the application pool that the website is running under? This might reveal something about why the W3wp.exe is getting stopped.
  • Hi,

Checked App pool and was only set to recycle at 00:30am. Now disabled all recycling. Still does not work, plus trying to serve static html from same site that hosts asp.net app when profiler running results in HTTP 403 errors.

Will be reconfiguring app to not use host headers and trying again.

Thanks
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    ANTS Profiler 2.5 now properly supports websites with different host headers. In the past, the only way to profile multiple websites with ANTS Profiler was if the websites were differentiated only by port number.