Options

Job ending long time after backup completed

cameron.gibbscameron.gibbs Posts: 18
edited September 2, 2008 8:06PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have several jobs on several servers backing up databases from 10MB to 4.5GB, and they all finish in times close to what standard SQL Server backup jobs do, except...

on 1 server the SQL backup takes ~4 minutes to backup about 1GB of databases (largest is ~750MB), but the SQL Backup Pro job takes ~48 minutes - that is the job reports as taking 48 minutes to complete, but the backups are actually completed in ~4 minutes.

Anyone know wy there might be a discrepancy ?

CJ

Comments

• Options
    Do you have the VERIFY parameter on in your jobs? This extends the time of the backup but not by the numbers you are detailing.

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • Options
    Yeah I have VERIFY on for all backups - this server/set of databases is the only one that is behaving like that.
  • Options
    Hi Cameron,

Where exactly is the job reporting it is taking 48 minutes to complete?

Would you be able to e-mail a SQL Backup Log file of one of these jobs to support@red-gate.com and include the link to this forum post in it?

The SQL Backup Log files are located by default in :

%:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name>

Thanks!
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    Sorry Matthew - I should have posted my update...

The issue was that the server that was taking ages to complete was doing the nightly backups as well as 15 minute backups for DR etc. The backup history was never being truncated so it was taking an age to update it.

Once I truncated the backup history and am keeping that under control, the backup completes in a few minutes as expected.

BTW - it was SQL Server job history that was reporting the 48 minute job time.

Thanks,
    CJ