Non-existent scripts being picked up by SQL Compare

mwjdavidsonmwjdavidson Posts: 5
edited August 22, 2008 5:04AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,
I've recently begun to experience a 'duplicate files' issue similar to that detailed in the following post when working with a scripts folder source in SQL Compare:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=7290

I confirmed that there were definitely no duplicate files, and that it was not a collation issue (I got the same message just trying to export the data source).
Removing the View file referred to in the error message just moved it onto the next one. Removing all the View files finally allowed me to export the source. That's where things got weird!
When comparing the new script folder generated by the export to itself, it appears that all the View files are present, despite having been deleted from the original folder prior to the export.
I guess this would be consistent with the original error messages I was receiving, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do about it.
I'm wondering if there's any kind of caching going on that could produce this result?
It's worth noting that the scripts folder is a working folder for my source control system (ClearCase), but I don't really see how this would have a bearing. It's worth noting also, that this setup has been working fine for the last two or three months.
Any ideas anyone!?

Comments

  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 New member
    Hello,

    If you get a duplicate object error, it must be that the object definition in question is present in more than one script file. The name of the files is not important as far as I know, so it is possible that the DDL script is duplicated in more than one file. You could try searching through the test of all .sql files in the script folder for the creation statement (create view x) and see if it turns up in more than one file.
  • Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the reply. I agree - logically, that makes sense, and I had already gone down that route to no avail. It seems that this may well be a ClearCase issue, as I eventually found that deleting all the files and folders in the scripts folder (there are others in addition to those used by SQLCompare), and then updating the ClearCase view to regenerate the files locally fixed the problem.
    Thanks
Sign In or Register to comment.