Couple of feature requests

I have two major features I would like to see in some future version of ANTS.

The first would be to get per-line (or per-IL) timings for assemblies that we don't have the source code for. This would be useful when working with third-party libraries. IL timings would be good, but even better would be per-line timings using a technique like Lutz Roeder's .Net Reflector uses to reverse the IL into code.

The second would be to allow per-line timings for the .Net framework code that Microsoft released earlier this year ( http://referencesource.microsoft.com/serversetup.aspx ). Currently we are doing a lot of profiling of the DataSet classes, and this would help a lot with that kind of work.

I have no idea how practical these ideas are, or even if they are already available (please let me know if they are).

Thanks,
Scott.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for your forum post. I think that all of these things are in the realm of possibility. We already have Exception Hunter showing the IL code if no C#/VB code is available for the source code view, so we can probably do this for ANTS, too. I'm not too sure about using the Microsoft FCL source code, though. For one, it must be a pretty unwieldy size, and also Microsoft have put some fairly restrictive terms of use on it, last time I looked into it.