Options

Can I deactivate software without an internet connection?

mclovinmclovin Posts: 4
edited August 13, 2008 10:31AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I don't want to try it unless I know the intended effects, but, when I go through the dialog box to deactivate the software for a given serial number on a particular machine, do I have to have internet access to complete the deactivation, or is everything done locally? Thanks, David.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately to deactivate SQL Backup an internet connection must be established. Without an internet connection our Activation Server will not be able to free up the activation.

I hope this helps.
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    I just found out about this the other day, when I ran out of my SQL Backup license #, so I downloaded the Deactivation Tool, and un-activated on some machines

Question for Red Gate, is there a way to know the machines that are activated? like desktop1, desktop2, server1, server2...

I keep thinking I only have 4 installed and not 5 (license limit?)

By the way, for the Deactivation Tool, can I "just" deactivate SQL Backup in a Toolbelt bundle?
    I don't need SQLBackup on my laptop but rather want them on the servers instead. When I tried to deactivate, it only lets me deactivate the entire Toolbelt bundle

Thanks
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • Options
    Hi Jerry,

You cannot deactivate only SQL Backup but if you deactivate all products, reactivate again with SQL Compare, Data Compare etc it should activate all the products except SQL Backup.

You should then be able to use the SQL Backup activation on another machine.

Running the following command on all SQL Servers with SQL Backup installed will return their licensing information :

execute master..sqbutility 1021, @LicenseType OUTPUT, @Version OUTPUT, @SerialNumber OUTPUT, @DateInstalled OUTPUT, @DateFirstUsed OUTPUT, @RevokeErrorsv4 OUTPUT, @Warningsv5 OUTPUT;

The function takes no additional parameters, and returns seven values – an integer @LicenseType, which will be one of the following:

@LicenseType	Definition
    0	                    No License – the trial period has expired. 
    1	                    Trial License (equivalent to Professional in features,    but only valid for 14 days).  Trial Extensions also fall in this category.
    2		                Standard License
    3		                Professional License
    6		                'Lite' License

I hope this helps.
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry