Options

Question about 'code' returned from backuphistory

tdpgmantdpgman Posts: 5
edited August 5, 2008 7:02AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi there,
I've recently taken over a Red Gate-backed up db environment and there is a query that is running, im sure you're all familiar with:

master..sqbdata 'SELECT * FROM backuphistory where code <> 0 and backup_start >= dateadd(hh,-24,getDate())'

When this ran last night, it returned a log backup failure with code=300 but when i checked the actual SQL job, the whole job and jobstep was a success with no retries.

Can someone let me know what this 'code' field represents and if the above filter is enough to report on any failed red gate backups within the last 24 hours? Not nice being paged in the early morning for false alerts..

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

You probably want to select only error codes > 500. Anything less is a warning, in your case it simply means that the backup job had to be submitted more than once before succeeding. If the job wen through four retries, there would be a 500+ error code returned and that's when you need to be worried.

On the other hand, the 300 warning code may be an indication that SQL Server process memory is running low and there could be some action that you could take to prevent backup failures in the near future.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply, will change my filter as indicated!