Options

How does the ScriptsFolder datasource work?

edited October 14, 2008 6:45AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
My company just started using SQLCompare PRO, the database creation script is in a DDL file (originating from VISIO). I want to create diff scripts from the DDL file.

1. From the commandline I cannot get SQLCompare to accept to script folders - it comes with an error sying something like "The option /scr1 cannot be combined with /scr2". I guess I am doing something wrong - since I am new to SQL Compare :). It works from the GUI.
2. When I comparing in the gui I rename the DDL to a file with extension .SQL, It only finds one table def. If I execute the script and creates a database and then compare it everything is seems to be found.

I find the scriptfolder option excellent, but it doesn't seem to work - or am I using it wrong?

Best regards
Martin S. Eskildsen

Comments

• Options
    It's possible that your DDL file from Visio is using syntax that the SQL Compare Engine doesn't understand - we've written it to primarily work with script folders generated by SQL Compare itself. For instance, if the file contains 'dynamic SQL' (e.g. if statements designed to delete objects before recreating them where appropriate) this will confuse the SQL Compare Engine parser.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software