Sql Compare Exit Codes or ErrorLevel

paulbarbinpaulbarbin Posts: 9
edited November 25, 2011 4:07AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I am using the command line version of SqlCompare (version 5!) and I'm looking for a list of the exit codes or DOS ErrorLevels to expect. I'm calling the compare from a DOS batch file and I want to know what codes will give me sucess vs failure.

I've seen reference to 63 being databases are equal, but I would have thought that would be error 0. I am currently getting an error 9009 and that happens when the db that we're comparing doesn't exist.

If I need to upgrade to 6 or 7 in order to get exit codes, I'd be willing.

Paul

Comments

• Ok, ignore the error 9009 - that was because the batch couldn't find the sqlcompare exe. I ran sqlcompare /verbose /? and found the exit codes.

Exit Codes
    ==========
    0 - Success.
    1 - General error code.
    3 - Illegal argument duplication. Some arguments may not appear more than once in a
    command-line. If such arguments appear more than once this exit code will be returned.
    8 - Unsatisfied argument dependency or violated exclusion when user runs command line. E.g.
    /arg2 depends on /arg1 but you have specified /arg2 without specifying /arg1, or
    alternatively /arg2 cannot be used with /arg1 but you have tried to use them both.
    32 - Value out of range. Numeric value supplied for an argument that is outside the range of
    valid values for that argument.
    33 - Value overflow. The magnitude of a value supplied for an argument is too large and causes an overflow.
    34 - Invalid value. The value supplied for an argument is invalid.
    35 - No / invalid software license or trial period has expired.
    63 - The databases being compared are identical with respect to any constraints on objects being
    compared.
    64 - General command-line usage error.
    65 - Data error. Some input data required by the tool is invalid or corrupt.
    69 - A resource or service required to run the tool is unavailable.
    73 - Failed to create report
    74 - IO error occurred. Generally returned if the program attempts to write to a file that
    already exists without the user having specified the /force option.
    77 - Action cannot be completed because the user does not have permission.
    126 - Execution failed because of an error.
    130 - Execution stopped because Ctrl+Break.
  • Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    The /allowIdenticalDatabases option will tell the SQL Compare command line not to treat identical databases as an error condition, if you wanted that behaviour.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks Michelle. I've already coded around the problem in my batch file. But that is good to know.
  • The /allowIdenticalDatabases option will tell the SQL Compare command line not to treat identical databases as an error condition, if you wanted that behaviour.
    In newer versions (at least 8 ) of SqlCompare the /allowIdenticalDatabases option has been deprecated in favour of /include:identical.

Run the following to see extended help
    sqlcompare /? /v
    Nigel