Options

Backup Plan

malikjavedmalikjaved Posts: 7
edited July 20, 2008 10:30AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi Guys...

i have recently bought a Backup V5.3, i am bit confuse about using it....
it's been said that two job's @ the same time shouldn't be run. so i m totally out of mind :shock: ... i don't know how to do this.. acutally what happening b4, i have design a backup plan that full backup will take once a week a differential backup will take every day and t-log backup will take place every 30mint..

so now what should i hv to do. i have setup that full backup will take Sunday 23:00 and as t-log backup is already setup that will take place every 30mint.. so it's mean as the full backup is takeing place time will start for t-log backup.

is anyOne has good IDea to do this job....
Malik
DBA - LDSI

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Two jobs can run at the same time if you have the resources (CPU and disk I/O) to spare. Using native backups, the CPU requirements are very low. Using SQL Backup, the CPU requirements are higher, hence normal database performance may be affected. However, if you have the resources to spare, you can go ahead and schedule concurrent backup jobs.

In SQL Server 2000, the first backup to kick off will block the second backup, as you cannot run two backups for the same database at th same time. You will receive warning 300 in SQL Backup because of this, but both backups will still be made, just not simultaneously. In SQL Server 2005, the same thing will happen, unless the backup job kicks off first. SQL Server 2005 allows you to perform a transaction log backup while a full backup is running.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply..

Can you recommand me a full Desistar Recover plan for any database.. How should i have to schedule my database backups...i mean transactional, differential and full backups....
    Malik
    DBA - LDSI
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    I think it really depends on your business needs. Perhaps this document can give you some ideas.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8