Options

populating lookup tables

noobixnoobix Posts: 13
edited September 2, 2009 7:31AM in SQL Data Generator Previous Versions
Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum, I didn't know which one to post my question in.

My question is what is the best/recommended practice (using redgate tools) to populate lookup tables in a db?

Tino

Comments

• Options
    nobody can give me an answer?
  • Options
    Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

SQL Data Generator is a tool which can generator test data for any sql server database, while your DB\lookup tables are in development I would strongly recommend using this tool.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Da ... /index.htm

For production data, SQL Data Compare allows you to compare and sync the contents of two databases, so if your lookup data is ready in another DB you can easily transfer the data across.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Da ... /index.htm

I hope this answers your question, if you need any more particular information please contact myself or the sales team and we will be happy to help.

Regards

Ben
  • Options
    I product manage SQL Data Compare so I'd be curious for your feedback. Currently you can populate lookup tables in a 'target' database from a 'source' database that you also specify. We are considering allowing the 'source' to be a DML script file (INSERTs) or alternatively a csv or a bcp.exe-type file. Which of these methods would match best what you're looking for? Or is there another way you would like for this to work?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Hi David,

a DML script (or more) including many INSERTs is definitely the right solution for us. This is how we populate our DB now.

We'd like a similar feature as in DBGhost Data and Schema Scripter.
    This tool can script both the static data and the schema in single SQL scripts.

SQLCompare can do the same but without scripting the static data.
    That would be a nice-to-have feature.

Regards,
    Tino
  • Options
    Just to let you know that SQL Data Compare 8 now supports writing out to DML .sql files, and conversely it is possible to synchronize from these DML files back to the database.

This now allows the storage of static data as well as schema in source control.

Regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software