Multi-Server Install of Backup using SQL Multi Script

Jason CookJason Cook Posts: 185
edited April 3, 2012 3:19PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Recently, we've had a number of customers asking how to install the SQL Backup server components on multiple servers without doing it manually server by server.

We are pleased to announce that an article on this topic (using SQL Multi Script) has been published on the Simple Talk website, and can be found at:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-tool ... ti-script/

We appreciate your feedback on the article, which can be provided via the comment form at the bottom of the article.

If there are other SQL Backup-themed articles you would like to see, feel free to post on this thread and we will note them for future consideration.

Thanks,
Jason

Comments

• We have had to extend the script to deal with the following issues we found:

a) spaces in path names

b) removing service if it was already previously installed, works but Im sure would be beneficial to uninstall silently if a prior version was found

c) post install we amended the script to add/modify registry keys to provide finer level of customization

Excellent script and has already saved us a vast amount of time, great job
  • DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
    Are there any other flags for SqbServerSetup.exe beyond what is shown in the article? In particular, I'm looking for a flag to specify a different non-default installation directory and a different non-default path for the CE database.
  • Hi DonMan,
    While there are other flags available, unfortunately if doing a silent install you are currently forced to install to the default directory. I'll pass the suggestion on to our development team who will consider it for a future release.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • I did manage to work around the issue by using reg add command in a batch file to chage values after the install in my installation script. But I am of the opinion that any parameter that can be changed in the installation GUI should be available to change using an unattended install.

If a complete list of all available flags could be provided, I may find that useful for other scripting options.

Thanks.
  • Hi DonMan,

The following list provides the flags that are currently available for the Server Components Installer, while they have been tested they are 'unsupported' and may be changed, modified or removed in a future release:
    /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /SQBMINIMAL

Three flags combined perform a silent install
    /I (instance)

Instance Name (leave blank for default instance)
    /SVCUSER (name) /SVCPW (password)

Username and Password for the Windows Service (leave blank to use local system)
    /SQLUSER (name) /SQLPW (password)

Username and Password for the SQL Authentication (leave blank to use the windows authentication of the service account)
    /CLUSTERINSTALL /CLUSTERUSER (name) /CLUSTERPW (password)

Perform a clustered install. The cluster credentials must be an administrator on the cluster. If installing on a cluster, the instance name must still be the name as it is on the local machine (e.g. "SQL2005").
    /LOG

Provides debugging and other log information during the install, the log file is stored in the current user's temporary directory (%current_user%\Local Settings\Temp\Setup Log yyyy-mm-dd #nnn.txt)
    /EXITCODEFILE

An exit code that explains what the status of the installation was, more information is provided in the script of the simple talk article.

Hope that helps,
    Jason
  • Jason Cook wrote:
    Recently, we've had a number of customers asking how to install the SQL Backup server components on multiple servers without doing it manually server by server.

We are pleased to announce that an article on this topic (using SQL Multi Script) has been published on the Simple Talk website, and can be found at:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-tool ... ti-script/

We appreciate your feedback on the article, which can be provided via the comment form at the bottom of the article.

If there are other SQL Backup-themed articles you would like to see, feel free to post on this thread and we will note them for future consideration.

Thanks,
    Jason

thanks jason for this article. back up is the most important thing while you work with technology. i would like to see more articles from you but i dont have a demand of any specific subject. whenver possible please keep putting up these write ups it really helps.

thanks again
    tracy16 :)
    keyword research
    Tracy16
  • I am attempting to run the silent install for the latest update to SQL Backup 6.5.

Below is my command string (server names, logins and passwords masked).

When I run, I get the "select the tools to install" window pop-up. How can I avoid this / any interaction windows?

"D:\DBA_Installs\SQL Backup 6.5\v6.5.0.73\SQL_Backup_6.5.0.73.exe" /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /SQBMINIMAL /LOG /SVCUSER *****\***** /SVCPW ******/I *********