Grabbing Schema from different server than the connection

ralphtrickeyralphtrickey Posts: 6 Bronze 2
edited May 12, 2008 3:59PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
This is a bit of an oddball request.

If it possible to grab the schema from a different server than the server that the connection is pointing to?

Here's a scenario. I have 4 servers that I connect to regularly. One is a Development server, one is a domestic produciton server, and the other two are internally located production servers.

If possible, I'd liek to use the schema from the development of the domestic production server instead of connecting to the remote machine to grab the schema. They are norally identical, so from my viewpoint, I don't care which schema I use. The connection to the international servers is ove a WAN, so it's significantly slower, and the production dbas would rather that I didn't use anything besides a straight query analyzer to look at the production databases.

Comments

• You can do this by looking at SQL Prompt Options/Connections and look on the Login Credentials tab, and creating a New connection to SQL Servers and databases.
    Chris Buckingham
    Red-Gate support
  • ralphtrickeyralphtrickey Posts: 6 Bronze 2
    You can do this by looking at SQL Prompt Options/Connections and look on the Login Credentials tab, and creating a New connection to SQL Servers and databases.
    Unless I'm missing something, it's not quite the same thing. What I'm talking about is that I might make the connection in EM to SQLPRD01, but I want to connect to SQLDEV01 to grab the schema. That way I know that SQL Prompt can't possibly do anything bad to SQLPRD01, but I can still get most/all of the functionality, at the cost of occasional funkiness if the schemas get out of sync. Does that make sense? My other choice is to write the query on SQLDEV01 then copy it to SQLPRD01 to run it.

Thanks,
    Ralph