Options

Tables not showing up sometimes

MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
edited May 12, 2008 11:30AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I have noticed that sometimes when I create a new query it appears that that window uses an old version of the cache information.

For example while in query window 1 a new table is added, and I refresh the cache. Then I create a new query and it doesn't know about the table, I refresh the cache and it does. I close the new query window and create another one, and it doesn't know about the table until I refresh the cache again.

However, after some playing with it, new query windows did final have the information on the new tables. (I think it happened when I opened a second new query window after refreshing the cache in the first new query window.)

It is really annoying to have multiple query windows open, connected to the same DB, but yet the cached information is different, and if you refresh the cache for one window it doesn't seem to update the cache for other open windows.

(This is with 3.8.0.244 in SMSS)

Michael

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately you have to keep the cache refreshed. This is necessary as caching in real time would slow Prompt to a crawl if you have any number of databases and large scripts to trawl through constantly.
    Chris Buckingham
    Red-Gate support
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008 11:30AM
    I think you missed the point I did refresh the cache, but when I open a new query window it sometimes gets an old version of the cache that shouldn't exist anymore.
  • Options
    Did you use the 'Refresh All' button from the SQL Prompt Cache Management dialogue box?

You should also have the 'Refresh the cache when opening a new query editor instance' ON too.
    Chris Buckingham
    Red-Gate support
  • Options
    Yes, I used the 'refresh all' button. I suppose that setting it to refresh the cache when opening a new window might resolve the problem, but I don't think it should be necessary. (The cache for the DB was refreshed the instant before the window was opened.)