not possible to export list of dependencies

austrianfoodispukeaustrianfoodispuke Posts: 100
edited March 26, 2009 3:19PM in SQL Dependency Tracker
I am trying to determine all the objects used by a set of stored procs.
I can get a diagram showing the procs and all the objects used, but I cannot then either deselect the procs (just leaving the dependent objects) or even export only the dependent objects.

Is there a way to do this.

Comments

• i did manage to hide the objects and only show the dependencies, but then to list out the unique objects i had to export this as xml, open in excel using the 'xml maps' function and then use an autofilter-copy unique to get the data out

not ideal
  • Thanks for your comments. I will pass them to the developers.
    Chris Buckingham
    Red-Gate support
  • shadowbobshadowbob Posts: 71 Bronze 2
    I recently used Dependency Tracker for the first time, and my primary issue with it was similar to this thread. Let me describe my situation and what I was looking for; perhaps this will help focus the discussion.

When I need to do a dependency analysis, it involves not just the database but also other source code in various projects. This requires me to do multiple analyses in various manners and merge them into a central dependency tree. I create this tree as an Excel spreadsheet, which I then pass to my team to work on.

Dependency Tracker would be the ideal tool to perform the database portion of this analysis. The issue I ran into, however, is that there is no easy way to get the list of dependent objects out into Excel. Once I've brought up a diagram in Tracker, I just need the Type and Name of every dependent object. Preferably, I'd like to be able to just copy this list into the clipboard, and have it tab-delimited so it will paste into Excel as two columns. If not that, then I at least need a plain-text export. Again: I just need the list of dependent objects, not what their relationship is, or any other metadata beyond the type of object.

Tracker is not very useful to me until this kind of thing can be done easily. As it was, I had to manually retype the name of every object into my spreadsheet. Not the ideal situation.

The final piece to this would be creating an easy way to select just the objects that are dependents, and not select the original objects that I placed in the diagram for analysis. I already know what those objects are -- I don't need them any more.

Hope it helps! Thanks for another great tool.
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
    Organizational Intelligence, Inc.
  • Does the new version (2.5) address the problem of exporting and/or printing the list of dependencies retrieved by the tracker software? This is an urgent need. I was told a few months ago that it might be included in sqlserver 2008 release.
    thanks - chuck
  • I'm interested in this too. I have a very large database and I need to be able to export dependencies for only selected items.

Mark Walker