Options

Different extended property order falsely reports difference

mgwizmgwiz Posts: 6
edited April 16, 2008 6:38AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Multiple table and associated trigger extended properties, though identical, are listed in different orders in side by side window, giving false differences.

This happens even if tables are identical, even though the table is listed in the identical objects group. This isn't really a problem as the tables are not listed as different.

However, if there is another difference, the table is listed in the different objects group and these false differences just muddy the water, making it difficult to identify the actual differences.

What exactly is the "extended property order" mentioned in another posting? Why aren't they listed in major_id/name order, or even just name/value order?

Comments

• Options
    I note that you're posting in the 'SQL Compare Previous Verisons' forum - could you tell me what version you're using?

I think the order that SQL Compare originally put extended properties in is the order they were created, or the order they're found in the system tables (which should be the same). By v6 this should be improved somewhat - if you're not using v6, could you get a trial version and tell us if the problems are happening in that version too?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    My mistake. Looks like I posted in the wrong forum. I'm using a recent, if not current release.

It's SQL Compare 6.1.0.53 .
  • Options
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    Can you pick up 6.2.0.271 (the current release) and see if the problem still persists, then? You should be able to get it via Check for Updates if the machine with Compare installed is connected to the Internet, or by going to the Upgrade Centre on the website (https://www.red-gate.com/Dynamic/Upgrad ... Entry.aspx).

If it's still a problem in 6.2.0.271 I'd like to see an example of the extended properties being out of order (a snapshot or backup or a script I could run to create such a database) so I can work out what's going wrong and hopefully get it fixed.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software