MDAC 2.6 Problem

MDMD Posts: 4
edited April 15, 2008 5:18AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi, i am trying to install SQL Bundle (Version 8.2.160.0) onto XP SP2, and am getting the following error :-

"You do not have MDAC version 2.6 or later installed. This is required for the SQL Bundle to install".

I have checked my MDAC and have version 2.8 installed - what do i need to do ?.

Thanks for your time,
Mark.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Mark,

I don't recognize the product version because we haven't released a SQL comparison tool with a version number greater than 6.x. I'm guessing this version attribute was written by InstallShield, so you're probably attempting to install SQL Bundle 5. If that's the case, it checks the MDAC version strictly by looking at one registry key, which sometimes didn't get updated during an MDAC upgrade. This information should work around the problem:
    First, right-click the following file in Windows Explorer and note the version number shown on the Version tab of the file properties dialogue:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msdfmap.dll

If the version number is greater than 2.80, then change the registry key at:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DataAccess\FullInstallVer

to reflect this version number.

If the version of msdfmap.dll is less than 2.80, please upgrade MDAC by visiting Microsoft's download website at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

and acquiring the latest version of MDAC for your operating system.
  • Thanks very much for that Brian, i'll get our Tech Support guy to try it and let you know ...
  • Worked a treat Brian - thanks again.

Mark.