Options

error when creating project / Object must be of type String

xplexisxplexis Posts: 4
Hi,

I installed the Sql Data Generator.
When I try to create a project using a connection to most of our databases, the software trows an error at the moment it tries to read the database permissions:

Create project
Reading permissions

Object must be of type String

Can you help me?

thank you

Comments

• Options
    Hi it sounds like the user that you are connecting with does not have sufficent permissons. SQL Data Generator uses the Same object model as SQL Compare so will need the permissions as are suggested in this knowledge article

https://www.red-gate.com/support/kb/KB200707000072.htm

If having more permissions doesn't fix the problem then please let me know and I will suggest something new. I will add a bug to our bug tracking system that we should give a much better error message in that area as that message is awful!

Lionel
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    I connected using sa and a sysadmin user
  • Options
    I will send you an email with a way of getting more debug information so we can get to the bottom of this. Just so I know which version of SQL Server are you using?

Lionel
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    on one sql server:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3042.00 (X64) Feb 10 2007 00:59:02 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

on another:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3228.00 (Intel X86) Feb 9 2008 09:47:16 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)

Both of them the same problem on application adatabases

I do not receive the same error on a new created database with only a few tables.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. I have found the problem and have emailed you a fix. If anyone else has this problem then please email support@red-gate.com and they will give you a patch. The fix will apear in SQL Data Generator 1.1.

Lionel
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software