Options

Connection Issue

JimCJimC Posts: 3
edited March 31, 2008 12:25PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm having an issue with SQL Compare v6.1.

** EDIT **
I can connect to a SQL 2000 default instance but not a named instance.

I can't connect to a SQL 2000 named instance.

I've tried the following:

1) TCP:<servername>\<instance>

2) <servername>\<instance>

3) <ip address>\<instance>

4) TCP:<servername>\<instance>,<port> (gleaned from sql error log at startup, not running on std port) (integrated security)

5) NP:<servername>\<instance> (integrated security)

I've just tried logging packets between me and a host machine using wireshark, and i'm not seeing any traffic.

Filter: HOST <servername>

Any ideas where I could look next, or what I could try next?

Ah -- I did finally get this msg from SQL Compare:
SQL Tools
The list of databases for the specified SQL Server could not be retrieved: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
OK

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    Just to check the obvious - you can connect to this server via QA (or SSMS if you have that) from the same computer you're trying to connect from SQL Compare, right?

It sounds like some kind of network/firewall problem - the error messages are consistant with just not being able to find the server at all.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I'm able to connect with SSMS.

AHA! Your clue was exactly what I needed.

Apparently Symantec Client Firewall was only blocking SQL Data Compare when I was using an instance.

Thanks for the help! (Wish I hadn't missed something that obvious)

Jim