Options

Entering a Description as a backup parameter

ChrisAVWoodChrisAVWood Posts: 361
edited March 5, 2008 1:40PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Looking at the syntax for the BACKUP DATABASE I can see DESCRIPTION = 'text' . If I enter a description, when running the T-SQL in the SQL2005 Query window, how can I see the description in the GUI or elsewhere so I know what was entered?

My analyst's would like to use description, like they would in SQL2005 Tasks/backup but I cannot see where they would see this information after the backup is complete!

It is not available in the GUI (5.2) version.

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The description is stored in the msdb..backupset table, and also in the backup file. The SQL Backup GUI does not display this description.

E.g. to view all backup descriptions from the backupset table:
    SELECT database_name, backup_start_date, type, name, description FROM msdb..backupset ORDER BY backup_set_id DESC

E.g. to view the description from the file:
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = [E:\DBBackups\pubs.sqb]" '

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thanks for the info petey. I know that this could be upto 255 characters but how easy would it be to add it to the GUI possibly in the Backup properties window when you right click on a completed job under the Activity history tab?

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA