Options

SQL Server 2000 backups

kevanh1974kevanh1974 Posts: 4
I am having trouble activationg a SQL Server 2000 server, the error is "SQL backup agent service cannot start or is taking too long to start."

Is this just not compatible with Backup? :?:

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup is compatible with SQL Server 2000.

Could you please do the following:

- ensure that the SQL Backup Agent application (SQBCoreService.exe) is the latest version (5.2)

- open the Windows Service Manager, select the SQL Backup Agent service. Stop the service if it's running, enter -sqbdebug as the 'Start parameter', and start the service.

- this should generate a file named SQBCoreService_log.txt in the SQL Backup folder. Send me this file.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    This is the same error i got and tried the above solution but that also did not start the service and gave me error message with number 660.
    THINK BIG AND WORK SMART
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Error code 660 indicates that the SQL VDI library is not registered. You will need to register this library manually.

Look for the latest version of sqlvdi.dll on your machine and manually register it using regsvr32 e.g. regsvr32 sqlvdi.dll. If you are using a 64-bit SQL Server, you will need to register both 32-bit and 64-bit copies of that DLL. Please ensure that both DLLs are of the same version.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8