5.2 Upgrade Issue

aaronakinaaronakin Posts: 4
edited February 22, 2008 9:43AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I just upgraded from 5.1 to 5.2.0.2824. When I open the SQL Backup application and go to Help > About, it says the correct version, but when I run EXEC master..sqlbackup, it says SQL Backup v5.1.0.2781 as the column name.

What do I need to do to update the XP to the correct version?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In the SQL Backup installation folder, there should be a file named xp_sqlbackup.dll in one of 3 possible subfolders (win32, x64, itanium) depending on your processor type.

Copy the file to your SQL Server instances' Binn folder e.g. D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn. If the file is locked, run the following command:

DBCC xp_sqlbackup(FREE)

If the file is still locked, you would need to stop the SQL Server instances' service before you can replace the file.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I copied the DLL from "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\(LOCAL)\Win32" to my binn directory and ran:

DECLARE @value varchar(32)
    EXEC master..sqbutility 1030, @value OUTPUT
    SELECT @value

This still returns 5.1.0.2781. I even tried to drop the extended procedure and readd it. I even tried to specify the full path to the binn directory just in case, but I still get the same version being returned.

The modified date for the DLL in both locations is 5/21/07. Is this the correct DLL?
  • Well, it looks like I found the fix.

Originally, I installed 5.1 and then ran the 5.2 install. Since this didn't work, I tried running the C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\SQBServerSetup.exe file. After running this, the version finally changed to 5.2