Options

SQL Backup without server components?

paule123paule123 Posts: 44
edited February 14, 2008 1:01PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm looking to schedule a daily backup of a remote SQL 2000 Server to a local SQL 2005 server. I do not have console or admin priviledges on the SQL 2000 server, so installing components on that server is not possible. Will RedGate SQL Backup work without the server components?

Seems like I can get a "good enough" backup by using SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare but that is a bit cumbersome for a simple "set it and forget it" backup.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    There are 2 ways to use SQL Backup. One of them is via extended stored procedures, which requires you to install the server components. This installs the required extended stored procedure library, and a Windows service.

The other way is to use the command line interface. To do this, you need to copy the executable (SQLBackupC.exe) to the server. If you have a license, also copy ProductActivation.exe, and run it to activate your license. The user running backups/restores via SQLBackupC.exe needs to have the SQL Server sysadmin fixed server role.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Ok, I'm playing with the trial version, running the GUI from my laptop. It seems I cannot pull the backup through the SQL connection to my laptop from the remote SQL server - it places the backup on the server's local drive. There is the option in the backup job to copy the backup to a network share, but that is not possible because there is no windows file share on the remote SQL server open to the internet (and god help us if we did that!) Is there no way to get a local copy of the backup via this software?
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You could open a network share on your laptop, grant read/write access to the SQL Backup Agent service startup user on the SQL Server, and have the file copied to your network share upon completion of the backup.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    I think I will just figure a way to pull the backup file via FTP. I can't expose an open Windows file share to the internet...