Options

upgrade trouble (from 6.0 to 6.1)

mulmadmulmad Posts: 94
FYI
On two sesparate physical pc I have upgraded sql data compare from 6.0 to 6.1, and on both pc after a "successful" upgrade, the JIT debugger (visual studiio) wants to start when I start sql data compare.

Only after un-install and re-install does sql datacompare work again.

Comments

• Options
    If you can give me a stacktrace of where the error occurred that would be great if possible.

Also - were the machines running Vista or XP, 32 bit or 64 bit as this affects aspects of the installation quite a lot.

Bit of a pain you had to un-install and re-install to get it working though.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    sorry, I dont have the stack trace!

...a bit more info:
    - OS on both pc are is XP (incl. latest patches),
    - Both installations have been upgraded from at least a version 5,

It was no trouble at all simply un-installing and then re-installing (compared to the value of the product).
  • Options
    tschlarmtschlarm Posts: 23 Bronze 2
    Upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1. I also don't have a stack trace for you. I'm running Vista Ultimate (32-bit). Crashed on startup while the splash screen was up.

I uninstalled Data Compare 6, an old Data Compare 5 that was left after the upgraded to 6.0 and then downloaded the new package from the downloads area. After installing that, it works again. Seems a bit slower on compare, but I'll have to play more with it to be sure.
  • Options
    Hi,

There seems to be a common factor of an upgrade from 5 to 6 to 6.1 in both of those. We've tested this internally but haven't managed to reproduce it here yet.

If anyone does hit this problem, any details of the error given would be appreciated so we can try and narrow it down.

Many thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Options
    If it exists, any relevant information from the Event Viewer could also be very useful.

There should be an entry confirming the installation but there could also be entries relating to the failed attempt to launch the application.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    I updated from 5.x to 6.0 and then to 6.1 => Crash during program start

Uninstalled 6.1 , reinstalled 6.0, tested 6.0 everything was fine, upgraded again to 6.1, program crashed again

This is what I was able to extract from the debugger

System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled
    Message="The type initializer for 'by' threw an exception."
    Source="RedGate.SQLDataCompare.UI"
    TypeName="by"
    StackTrace:
    at bA.a(String[] )

Regards,
    Andre
  • Options
    We've found out what is going on here. There has been a change in our installation scripts and if you run the program without the msi from which it was installed being available certain 3rd party components don't get installed.

This only happens when upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1. If you un-install 6.0 before you install 6.1 it seems to be fine.

We're going to be releasing a patched version hopefully this week which will fix this problem from 6.0 to 6.1.1 although changing from version 6.1 to 6.1.1 will still require an uninstall going from 6.0 to 6.1.1 won't.

Sometimes the install file just decides it's going to be too clever :evil:

This mini-patch release will also fix the command line which doesn't work in 6.1.

Bit a pain I know but please bear with us.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd