andy.candy.c Posts: 11
edited October 13, 2010 9:53AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

When I fired up the SQL Backup client I got this unhandled exception:

SQLBackup v5

The database disk image is malformed
database disk image is malformed
WorkerExecutionException

at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ConfigurableThreadPool._1(Exception )
at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ConfigurableThreadPool._1._2()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

SQLiteException

The database disk image is malformed
database disk image is malformed

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Reset(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Step(SQLiteStatement stmt)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader..ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader()
at _6._5(Server )
at _6._2(Object )

Is this exception on the client side or on the server?
This exception made the client tool exit.

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• This exception is generated when ever I add one of our production clustered instances into the SQL Backup client server list.

This is the SQL Server version that the cluster is running:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86) May 3 2005 23:18:38 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

Here is the version of SQL Backup that the cluster is running:

The transaction log backups seem to be taking place. Would an exception like this cause any problems with the backups themselves?

Thanks,

Andy
  • Hi,

I think I found the trigger that causes the SQLite Exception in the SQL Backup GUI. I think it may have something to do with the way that DNS names are handled in the gui or the backup service.

I was entering a CNAME record into the 'SQL Server' text box in the 'Add SQL Server' form in the SQL Backup GUI. This was causing the SQLite exception. When I add the 'A' record for the same instance in the 'SQL Server' text box the SQL Backup GUI accepts the new instance with no problems.

My question is why would adding a CNAME record as the DNS name for some SQL Server instance cause this unhandled exception?

Thanks,

Andy
  • Hi Andy,

Clearing your local data cache should remove the corrupt SQLite database. You can do this by deleting C:\Documents and Settings\[LOGON USER NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data

The issue isn't directly related to the server name. SQL Backup has a table linking existing server names to cache databases. Everytime you add the server, sql backup tries to use the corrupt database and raises an exception. By using an alternative dns name, a fresh cache file is being used.

Hope this helps,

Daniel
  • This initially freaked me out. :? I thought my data disk on my database server was throwing errors. Scary. I found this post and followed the directions, and voila, everything was fine.

Thanks Man! :D
    MTutor
    Huntsman Cancer Institute
    University of Utah
  • wlmakwlmak Posts: 1 Bronze 2
    I remove the Server Data, and then open redgate SQL backup to add the server, once I add, the malfunction error pop up again.

Anyway to resolve this?
  • wlmak,

If you are still having issues with this I have come across another solution. I also removed the .dat files from my user profile and it did not fix the issue.

What I did do was this:

1) Delete my entire user profile from another administrator account
    2) Log off as the administrator
    3) Log back on as the account I just deleted
    4) Reopen SQL Backup
    5) Add the SQL server(s) back to the database list

Hope this helps