Options

Suggestion: word wrap in data viewer

CrispinHCrispinH Posts: 57
It would be useful to have a 'wrap text' option in the data viewer. I frequently have to deal with long nvarchar or ntext columns that don't have any line feeds and so I have to spend a lot of time scrolling.

Crispin

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion - it's something we've been looking at in the past, so hopefully it will make it into a future version of Data Compare! Just for reference, it's in our issue tracking system as SDC-669, and I've added a link to this post to that issue.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Robert

I've thought of a more complex comparison that might be useful (well to me anyway). The ability to ignore carriage returns and linefeeds within the left or right panel (as appropriate) when making the comparison.

This means that if I've got a left-hand panel with linebreaks and a right-hand one without, I can still make a sensible comparison. To finish it off, the aforementioned word-wrap on both sides would make the comparison easier.

Crispin
  • Options
    Hi,

OK, we'll certainly bear that in mind. I believe our current difference algorithm just works at the line level, so it'd be a fairly major change, but I can see why you might want it.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate