Options

Shared folder does not exist

vad2319vad2319 Posts: 40
edited January 4, 2008 8:06PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am using trial evaluation of SQL Backup. so far it has been good, but had a problem today morning.

While setting up log shipping, At step 4 of 6: Specify a network share accessible from both SQL Servers.

I wrote:
Networkshare:\\Computername\shared

And then on clicking "Test", previously it used to give a message that "both the servers have required permission to use this shared folder". but from today morning its giving a message that the "folder does not exist".

I am pretty sure that the folder does exist & has the same permissions as were yesterday & days before.

Please advise why suddenly Sql Backup does not detect any shared folders?

I can go to Windows Explorer & access the same shared path.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup uses the credentials of the SQL Backup Agent service startup user to access network shares. Try accessing the network share using that account via Windows Explorer and see if you get the same error.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    How can I find the credentials of the SQL Backup Agent service startup user?

Is it the Login information for the server on which sql server is installed?

Do you think restarting SQL Backup Agent service would be useful?

Thanks.
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    On the server where SQL Backup is installed, open the Windows Services applet. There should be a service named SQL Backup Agent. Note down the Windows account name that the service is started with. That is the account you should try logging in to Windows with and see if you can access the network share.

Restarting SQL Backup should not have any effect, though there's no harm in trying. Just ensure no backups are running at that time.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8