Options

SQL Backup Licences on Virtual Servers

benmoorbenmoor Posts: 2
edited January 4, 2008 1:31PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

Can you confirm your licencing model for virtual servers? If i have 4 vmware images on one physical server will that require 4 licences or 1? If I have 4 physical CPUs in that server and I allocate 1 physcial CPU per image would that require 4x1 CPU licences or 4 x 4 CPU licences?

Just to confuse even further - how does this change for dual and quad core processors and if they are shared between virtual servers?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Red Gate SQL Backup is licensed per phyiscal server.

So if you have 4 vmware images on the one physical server, you will require a one server license.

If you have 4 vmware images split across two phyiscal servers, you will require a two server license.

SQL Backup is not licensed per CPU.

If you require further information regarding the licensing of our products, please contact our sales team, as follows:

Telephone
    USA and Canada - Toll Free 1 866 733 4283
    UK and Rest of the World - +44 (0)870 160 0037

E-Mail: sales@red-gate.com

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Technical Support Engineer
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Wow! I was sure the licensing would be per virtual server instance. This is great news. Let's say I want to run 30 Virtual servers on 1 physical server. How does your license activation mechanism handle this?

If I only buy 1 license and activate it over the internet on Virtual Server 1, will I have to call in for each of the other 29 to have Red Gate adjust the number of times I can use the same serial Number?

Thank You,
    Dan