Options

VS studio 2005 hangs with RedGate.Profiler.VSAddin.Connect

I uninstalled the ANTS profiler and now Visual Studio 2005 SP1 hangs on startup at the splash screen. The VS log file shows that the last thing it attempted to perform before hanging is loading the ANTS addin. See below excerpt from the VS log file for details. How do I fix this? I do not want ANTS, but I do want Visual Developer studio to run correctly.

I do not remember what version of ANTS I installed a few months ago...it was an eval copy that I tried for a few days and then never used again after that. VS did run correctly when ANTS was installed (and so did the ANTS profiler). I finally got around to uninstalling ANTS yesterday and since then VS does not start...it hangs when attempting to load the ANTS addin.

Thanks,
Steve

:
<entry>
<record>38</record>
<time>2007/12/13 18:17:37.490</time>
<type>Information</type>
<source>Microsoft Visual Studio</source>
<description>Calling OnConnection for Addin: RedGate.Profiler.VSAddin.Connect</description>
</entry>
<entry>
<record>39</record>
<time>2007/12/13 18:17:37.536</time>
<type>Information</type>
<description>Unloading AddIn and calling OnDisConnection: RedGate.Profiler.VSAddin.Connect</description>
</entry>

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

To completely remove an add-in, you should check a few places in Visual Studio 2005. First, check Tools->Options->Addin/Macro security and remove the path to the ANTS Profiler add-in from the list of paths to check for add-ins (c:\program files\red gate\ants profiler 3, for instance). Next, make sure that the add-in is not loaded on startup from the Tools->Add-in manager menu. If a restart of Visual Studio still exhibits the same problems, you may need to reset Visual Studio by starting a Visual Studio 2005 command prompt and running devenv /setup.
  • Options
    VS does not startup so I can't try Tools->Options->Addin/Macro security.

I have already tried devenv \setup and devenv \safemode but still VS hangs at the splash screen. I've even uninstalled and then reinstalled VS, but still VS hangs with the last entries in its log file of:
    <entry>
    <record>38</record>
    <time>2007/12/14 16:14:06.832</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <description>Calling OnConnection for Addin: RedGate.Profiler.VSAddin.Connect</description>
    </entry>
    <entry>
    <record>39</record>
    <time>2007/12/14 16:14:06.863</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <description>Unloading AddIn and calling OnDisConnection: RedGate.Profiler.VSAddin.Connect</description>
    </entry>
  • Options
    Thanks for the log. This is informational -- it's not indicating any error in the Profiler add-in.

If you want to, you can try renaming the .addin file in the ANTS Profiler 3 installation folder with a different file extension. As far as I know this should prevent VS from attempting to load it.