Options

OutOfMemoryException found in memory profile results

hi,

I was memory profiling my .net 2.0 Winforms application using ANTS and in the results I observe that there are a couple of OutOfMemoryExceptions.

My application code does have the necessary try-catch blocks but when I run the application regularly I do not see any such memory exceptions. Even when I run using the profiler, the application works just fine. Only that I am surprised to find the out of memory exception objects in the results log and cannot explain myself where they are coming from?

Is this a .net thing? can anyone explain?

thanks

Seshagiri

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Seshagiri,

I haven't had any experience with this, but I'd assume it's internal to the .NET Framework if it's been caught and handled. Maybe it would be a good idea to use ANTS Profiler's hierarchy to examine the parent objects of these exceptions and see if that leads to any of your objects.
  • Options
    hi Brian,

thanks for the reply.

I am not aware of the profiler's heirarchy - can you include a screenshot of how one can trace an object's heirarchy?

regards

Seshagiri
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I think it may even be better to have a look at the instructions for finding root objects in ANTS Profiler. This includes how to navigate the hierarchy panel.