Options

No ASP.NET development web server option?

I'm using ANTS Pro 3.1.0.20.

XP SP2 with VS 2008, asp.net C#.

When I start the profiler the asp.net development web server is not selectable? I made the patch to add VS V9 to my addin file but that didn't help. This works fine on my other images (XP SP2 with VS2005) so I can only assume its a VS 2008 issue?

Thanks,
Craig

Comments

• Options
    I tried debugging directly from VS and it says it can't find the WebDev executable ... and I can't find how to change that :)

thanks
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for posting; yes, this is a Visual Studio 2008 issue caused by the WebDev.Webserver.exe being moved to the %commonprogramfiles% folder whereas it used to be available in the .NET Framework installation folder.

The workaround is to start the development web server as a normal desktop application.
    • Start ANTS Profiler
    • Select either Profile memory or Profile performance
    • Select .NET desktop application as the type of project
    • Click the elipsis (...) to the right of .NET desktop application and browse to %commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\DevServer\9.0
      and select Webdev.WebServer.exe
    • Let the working directory automatically update
    • Fill in the arguments necessary to start your web application:
      /Path:"c:\inetpub\MyApp" -the path to the web application on your hard drive
      /port:8080 -a TCP port not currently used by IIS (or other app)
      /vpath:"/MyApp" -the name of the virtual directory where the app normally is found in when you run it in IIS
    • Choose what code to profile and click Finish
    • Start a web browser and enter the address of the web app on your local machine, in this case http://localhost:8080/MyApp
    • Use ANTS Profiler as normal (take snapshot, etc)
    • When you are finished, close the web browser and then the console window launched by webdev.webserver.
  • Options
    Thanks Brian. I'm sure that would have worked however I took your initial note about them moving the server exe and just put a copy back in the 2.0 framework folder. Works fine and then also lets me profile right from within VS.

Craig
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for the alternate workaround suggestion. I'm glad that works for you.