Extremely slow performance on a powerful database server

scheddeschedde Posts: 8
I tested my data compare project on my dev machine and it took about 7 mts to compare and synchronize two databases. The same project took more than an hour on a more powerful (more memory, quad processors, more disk space etc.) database server, which is also the source database server.

What gives?

How can I go about figuring out what is making the synchronization so much slower?

Regards
Sreenivas Chedde

Comments

• Hi,

That's very strange! What architecture / OS is the high performance server, out of interest?

The only other thing I can think of is that if you're running the comparison on the same box as the database is coming from, you're causing a whole load more disk seeks as SQL Server reads data then Data Compare writes it. However, I'd be amazed if it made as much of a difference as you're seeing.

Lastly, are you comparing between two live databases, or is one a backup?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • It is strange. The OS is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2. I am synchronizing two live databases in both cases. I built the project on my dev. machine and copied the project file over to the database server. I opened the file from Sql Data Compare on the database server and ran it.

Are there any diagnostics I can run to get a clue?
    Sreenivas Chedde
  • The one other difference I remember is that I had installed all the Red-Gate products on my dev. machine. On the database server (the problem machne), I chose to only install Sql Data Compare.
    Sreenivas Chedde
  • I picked another more powerful server to run the data comapre and it completed the task pretty fast. So, it seems this is a machine specific issue, which I will look at it on my own.

Thanks for the reply,

Regards,
    Sreenivas Chedde