Options

Can not take snapshots

Hi,

My Ants profiler works fine before. And after I upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 and have .NET 3.5 runtime installed, it seems to have problem now.

I try to profile an Asp.net web app, in either dev web server host mode or IIS5 hosting mode, ANTS could not take snapshots!

When I click "take snapshot" button, it just display a waiting message and actually waiting for ever!! Half an hour later, I have to kill the process. I check the CPU usage of ANTs process, the utilization is 0.

What problem is that? Can any one suggest how to fix it? Maybe a patch from RedGate?

Thanks.

Red Ants

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to say, this app is Asp.net 2.0 app with 2.0 runtime configured properly.

Red Ants
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Thanks for your post. The content of the warning message would definitely be helpful. :-) Can you tell me what it says?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply in holiday season!

Actually it does not have any error message. When I try to take a snapshot, it just pop up "please wait, taking snapshot...." window and hang there for ever. After half an hour or even later, it still showing the same message with no resutls back. Then I open the task manager window and found the process is still running but the CPU time is zero percent). And at last I have to kill the process.

I tried it a couple of times, rebooted my machine, etc, and seems ANTS works the same way, and I can not use it at work any more.

Please help.

Sincerely,

Red Ants
  • Options
    Hi Red,

Can you please create a logs folder in the ANTS Profiler 3 installation folder, run a profile, and send the log files created in the folder to support at red-gate.com? I suspect there is a deadlock happening between the UI and the core component of the ANTS Proifler software.
  • Options
    I'm having this same problem with version 3.1.0.20

If it helps I was profiling a .net application in full mode.
  • Options
    Hi,

Can you please create the ANTS Profiler logs as above and email them to our support address (support at red-gate.com) and we'll have a look.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hello,

Are there any updates on this problem? If you need my log file please let me know and I'll be happy to send it. Also please let me know how I should send it (email?).

I'm running WinXP, 1GB RAM (150MB available), CPU @ 0%, VS2008, App compiled for .net 2.0

Thanks,

- Jordan
    - Jordan
  • Options
    Hi Jordan,

Can you please create some logs:
    • create a subfolder called 'logs' in the ANTS Profiler 3 program folder
    • Restart ANTS Profiler 3 service
    • Profile your application
    • email the contents of the logs folder to support@red-gate.com

I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the mere presence of .NET 3.5, unless you're using a really old version of ANTS Profiler.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

I'll send those logs off now. I'm using the latest version of ANTS, actually its a 15 day demo (I'm on day 13). I've been using an open source profiler, but it didn't provide the method call heirchy and a friend couldn't stop raving about ANTS Profiler. So here I am . . .

Thanks for your help.

- Jordan
    - Jordan
  • Options
    Hi,

It looks like you've hit the 'critical finalizer' problem documented here. Do you manually unload your AppDomain? If so this may be avoided by not unloading it. If the Framework has up and decided that there is a problem in your code, however, it will forcefully clean up all resources (including part of ANTS Profiler) and there is nothing I know of that we can do to prevent it.