Options

IIS asp.net app profile crash

Greetings,

I'm attempting to profile an asp.net application, and when I start profiling I get a crash that reads:
An unhandled exception of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException' occurred in RedGate.Profiler.IISProfileHost.exe

Additional information: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

I did a forum search and found two past forum threads that appear to deal with this issue:

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:25 am Post subject: Cannot Profiler Asp.net Apps - Ants Service Hangs

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:14 pm Post subject: What port is Profiler using for its remoting server?

Both posts talked about port 8087 being required for profiling, and suggested that the port is blocked. I followed the recogmendation of the first post, and did a NETSTAT -an and nothing is touching port 8087, I've also turned off any anti-virus protection that I have, and to my knowledge, I have no set restrictions on strong named assemblies.

I'm using the trial version of Ants that I downloaded earlier this morning.. Ants Profiler 3.1.0.20

Additional Information...

System:
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Enterprise Edition
Service Pack 1

Computer:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
2.21 Ghz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

IIS Version 6.0
Application is configured for, and uses ASP.NET 2.0
local website uses non-standard HTTP ports 90 and 6565 (I've tried profiling both)
The DLL's that are in the \BIN directory of the application have been compiled with Visual Studio 2005 debug mode, both .DLL and .PDB files are present (those are really what I'm wanting to give profile info on)

Please let me know if you require any additional information. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Thanks for all of the information, but there is still one missing bit of information, and that is when exactly the error appears. If it is during the phase starting the IIS Profiler Host, then the TCP port being referred to is the communications port for the ANTS Profiler 3 service (port 8087?). If it happens after starting the IIS worker process and ANTS Profiler is in the Waiting for connection state, the TCP port in question is more likely the port that you want your website to run on.

By default on IIS 6, ANTS starts the profiling application pool outside of IIS, requiring it to bind to an unused TCP port, which is 8013 by default. If your website is hard-coded to need the nonstandard ports that you mention, then you can tell ANTS Profiler to use these ports for profiling, but you need to go into IIS Administrator first and stop the websites that you want to profile because IIS is already using the ports.

Stopping the websites in IIS will not affect your ability to profile them. I hope this is the solution to the problem.