Options

Ants profiler crashed

ClauspClausp Posts: 6
I have problems with the following scenario.

I have installed Ants profiler on a production server (win2k3/iis6) and started the profiling. Then I "disabled" (not stopped) because I need to wait until a specific confition happens. Then I let users hit the server on the profiling port.
Then I disconnect the Terminal Services connection to the server until the condition (100% cou) happens.

But, when I then connect to the Terminal Services session - the profiler program has crashed. The w3wp process is still working and the web application works, but I can't enable the profiler to monitor the performance.
And yes, I'm sure that I'm in the right TS session. All other programs are still open and I've double checked in "Terminal services manager" to make sure that there isn't other sessions.

If I start ANTS againg, I can't attach to the process - so I have to kill it and start over.

/Claus

Comments

• Options
    Hi Claus,

Is there any indication as to what had happened? For instance, do you see that ANTS Profiler's interface is responding (except to the enable button) and the w3wp.exe that ANTS Profiler has started is still running, or is an error message thrown in the ANTS Profiler UI?

You can check to see if the instance of the IIS worker process is still running by using a command line to run
    cscript iisapp.vbs

...there should be an application pool called RedGateTestAppPool.

If it's gone, then there really should be a reason left behind in the application event logs. It may just be that the server can't handle profiling an IIS web application while many users are hitting it and you are running up against some resource issues such as memory and CPU.

ANTS Profiler is an instrumenting-type profiler and therefore it cannot re-attach to a process -- it must start the process afresh to enable profiling for it.

I'd recommend trying the profiling again with either perfmon or Task Manager open so you can keep an eye on the available resources.