Remote backup over VPN?

dandradedandrade Posts: 10
edited October 31, 2007 9:39AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'd like to manage the whole backup/restore process over VPN. I am mostly concerned with:

** Server Component Installation, because I will be doing this from my laptop, miles away from main server

** Step 3 of the Backup wizard, because I need files to be written to remote server

If folder in my remote box is something like C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SQL2000\BACKUP\ and I have admin privilege to C, and I can access it like a shared C$ can I just reference remote folder as

\\192.100.150.1\C$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP

Anyway, are there any instructions on how to do this or anyone done this before? (please advise on issues)

Thanks

Comments

• To answer your queries:

* The Server Component Installer is a small file (about 2MB) that installs all of the stored procedures and service resources required for SQL Backup to function correctly. This only needs to be done once for each server (and again when you upgrade), and should take a couple of minutes to do - even over a remote connection.

* In the wizards, the file locations are relative to the *local* server, so the c:\program files\... location referred to in the wizard will be for the drive local to the SQL Server instance. The only time you would need to consider something like the C$ share would be if the SQL Server instance is on your laptop, and you want to transfer the file to the remote machine.

Hope that helps,
    Jason
  • Jason Cook wrote:
    * The Server Component Installer ... only needs to be done once for each server ...

* In the wizards, the file locations are relative to the *local* server ....

Your post helped, already tested and everything went fine.

I'll be running SQL Backup 5.2 on my laptop and backups are for remote servers. I ran wizard and can see remote IP on the left pane. There is this button next to IP, it says "Trial. Click to activate license."

Do I need one license for each remote IP (server)?
  • Never mind, found it in Help file.

Licensing
    You can register any SQL Server instance with SQL Backup, but you must have a license for each server on which you want to use the SQL Backup backup and restore features.

It is going to be expensive to provide remote DBA services, but I am glad it works.
  • To clarify, SQL Backup is licensed per machine; but this licensing only applies to the SQL Server instances running the SQL Backup server components. The SQL Backup GUI can be run on as many machines as you like, without requiring additional licenses.

This means if you have one SQL Server, and 10 DBA's connecting remotely to it; you will only need the one license.

If you have any more questions about licensing, the best people to talk to is our Sales team, who can be contacted at sales@red-gate.com

Hope that helps,
    Jason