Options

Incompatible repository database version

edited November 1, 2004 10:43AM in DTS Compare 1.x
Starting with the "General Repository" error, I followed Brian's advice and made sure I had select rights on msdb.RTblSites and exec rights on sp_get_dtspackage. Now I get the "Incompatible" error. We store our packages in "Local Packages". We do NOT anything in "Meta Data Services Packages". When I select "Meta Data" in the Enterprise Mangler, I get the following message:

An error occurred while trying to access the database information.
The msdb database could not be opened.

What next?
Bill J

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Have you got the latest SQL Server service pack (3a) installed on the SQL Server? There is a Knowledge Base article from Microsoft describing the exact same problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;319455
  • Options
    I think we're up on service packs and I don't think it is a non-english installation but I will confirm both of those assumptions next week.
    Bill J
  • Options
    Hi,

We're going to look into catching any failed attempts to get into the metadata repository and change DTS Compare so that it will ignore the repository if it can't be opened. MSDE databases seem to suffer from this problem by nature because they do not have metadata services.
  • Options
    Hi Brian- Sorry about the slow response, I was covered up last week. We're running Enterprise SQL Server 2K, patched up and paranoid -- so I don't think we have access to the meta data. I know we don't have anything stored in there, if that makes a difference.

Frankly, we make heavy use of DTS but don't use Meta Data. Any important reason we should?

TIA
    Bill J
  • Options
    The repository is just another way to store DTS Packages, nothing more than that as far as I know. I can't see how it makes any difference. DTS Packages, whether they are in DTS or in the repository still exist in the same database with the same security settings.
This discussion has been closed.