Options

SQL 2005 Management Studio - very slow loading

BWBW Posts: 2
edited October 11, 2007 11:28AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Running SQL Prompt 3.6, starting management studio takes over 2 min just for the connect to server dialog to show. Once it is running all is fine.

I have tried renaming the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_ACCT>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3 as suggested elswhere but this makes no difference.

There don't appear to be any SQL Prompt processes loaded until I connect to a sql server so this is most odd behaviour.

On activating over the internet the software also took a long time for this to complete, is the software phoning home on startup?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum and sorry for the delay in replying back to you.

I can confirm that SQL Prompt does NOT phone home on startup, therefore this is not the cause of your performance issue.

Strange that everything is OK once SSMS is successfully started.

I suspect that this maybe due to the number of databases in the SQL Prompt cache.

From the SQL Prompt Menu->Cache Management, can you please try deleting the databases that SQL Prompt has cached.

Close SSMS and the re-open SSMS, hopefully the performance of SSMS start up will greatly improve.

Please reply back with your observations.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com