Socket Error # 10053 Software caused connection abort.

DWolford1234DWolford1234 Posts: 44
edited September 26, 2007 4:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello.

When trying to test Email setup, I get the above message. Windows firewall is not running, and when I manually test SMTP using Telnet instructions at http://www.rdpslides.com/webresources/FAQ00035.htm, everything works fine.

Is there any way for me to generate a log of the exchange between your SMTP engine and the SMTP server?

Using version 5.1.0.2781 professional.

Getting same issue on a clustered install and on a non clustered install.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    edited September 26, 2007 4:19AM
    Hi Dan,

As far as I know, you can only log the exchange between a client and an SMTP server on the SMTP server, for instance in IIS by selecting the logging option, and the same thing on the SMTP Virtual Server in Exchange.

But by sending an email test via telnet, you have established that anonymous relay is allowed from your SQL Server, so it's confusing why it would fail in SQL Backup. All I can figure is that you may not be running the SMTP connectivity test from one of the SQL Server cluster nodes where the SQL Backup Agent is running, but rather a client machine where the SQL Backup front-end runs. You'd need to test from the SQL Server.

There is also a possibility that when you use the test email button in SQL Backup, you're including a username and password, which you would not need unless your SMTP server actually requires SMTP authentication, and assuming you had followed the instructions in the link from your original post, you don't require SMTP auth.

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks Brian. After a wasted 4 hours...I found what was blocking it. It's not officially a firewall, but an "antivirus anti mass-emailing worm" piece was set to block anything on port 25 except listed exclusions. Of course this antivirus is controlled at a much higher level on the corporate chain, so I had no idea it was there. Once I added SQBCoreService.exe to the exclude from blocking section...All is well.

D'OH! Just another day in IT

Dan
  • Gotta just love it!