Unresponsive Server

SinclairSpeccySinclairSpeccy Posts: 7
edited September 25, 2007 10:10AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Whenever I run a script, to backup a specific database using SQLBackup, after a few minutes the server becomes un-responsive and the only way out is to reset the server.

Script is as follows:

master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [XXX]
TO DISK = ''E:\Data\Backups\SQL\XXX\FULL\<AUTO>''
WITH NAME = ''<AUTO>'',
MAILTO_ONERROR ="XXX",
DESCRIPTION = ''<AUTO>'', VERIFY, ERASEFILES = 3, COMPRESSION = 1"'
GO

I have today downloaded and installed version 5.1, ran a backup and the server froze again. Standard SQL backup runs fine.

Event log reveals nothing, the last entries are install shield and redgate services starting/stopping during the install and a confirmation it installed sucessfully. Followed by The last system shutdown was unexpected...

SQLBackup has previously run ok on this database (all other databases are backed up with no problem), indeed it was a SQLBackup file I used to restore the database to this server (moved between servers). Once restored backups ran fine, for a few days. All other functionality remains ok, and I am not aware of anything on the server changing since the last backup.

@Version reveals:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3054.00 (Intel X86) Mar 23 2007 16:28:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

Sorry for the long post, trying to give you all the information I have. Thanks for looking and if I have missed some information or have any ideas as to the problem then please let me know.

Regards,

Darren France

Comments

• Did you try the new server components?

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=5484

You might also try choosing a lower thread priority on your jobs to see if that helps. It has helped me at times when the server is busy. I find that the default priority RG sets is the same base priority that my SQL server process is running at.

When you say unresponsive, do you mean that you can't do an sp_who2 in Query Analyzer? Is there blocking?
    Dave Rutledge
    Database Administrator
    SNL Financial LC
  • The whole system freezes, mouse clicks and keyboard presses get no response from the server, although the mouse pointer still moves...

I cannot connect remotely via system management or sql management studio (they seem to hang as if waiting for a response) so I cannot query anything out.

Shortly after posting I did get a backup to run by running the backup to a different folder (same drive), on a hunch I then deleted the old backups and re-ran to the original location, it also ran fine...

It would have been nice, after the first successful backup, to re-run with the files in place however this is a live production server and downtime is not appreciated :D

All of this may be coincidental but I will keep my eye on it and set the backup to 12pm (nothing like a phone call at 2am saying the system has frozen when you can't restart remotely!) and will keep my eye on it.

Regards,

Darren France