Options

Multi Program Updates

kepr00kepr00 Posts: 43 Bronze 2
edited September 20, 2007 4:07PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hello
This is more of a general topic rather than SQL Prompt 3 specific.

I have several of the Red Gate products. I would like to have the ability of checking for updates for all my products with one click, in a similar way that the current "Check for update" shortcut does. I noticed that this shortcut calls a web service. Do you already have something that will allow me to check all my program versions at one time.

Otherwise, If you could expose or send the WSDL, I would like to write a small app to issue the proper commands against the webservice to check everything in one click.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve T

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

We have already implemented what you are requesting but maybe not in the manner you are seeking.

We have recently developed a new Installer for all software applications, which will list all our products. The order in which the products appear will depend upon the product or products you displayed interest in at the time of the download or via the 'Check for Updates' mechanism.

Using SQL Prompt as my example (as we have very recently released SQL Prompt Version 3.6 and as we are also in the SQL Prompt forum), see below for a brief explanation on what occurs:

The user is using SQL Prompt 3.5, the user decides to check for updates. There is an update available, the user clicks the 'View details' button which opens a page with a link to download the update.

The user clicks on the link which opens a dialog for the download. Download completes and the installer runs.

You will get a screen that lists our products over two pages, SQL Prompt will be the first product in the list. The installer will inform if there are any available updates or upgrades to other existing Red Gate products that you may have installed.

If there are additional updates, you will have the ability to install these additional updates / upgrades to the respective product without having to run the 'Check for Updates' process for each product.

I hope the above helps in answering your question. If you require further information, please either reply back to this forum topic or alternatively contact Red Gate Technical Support, with the following call reference F0006889.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Technical Support
    E-Mail: Support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    kepr00kepr00 Posts: 43 Bronze 2
    Right, but to furthur your example, if I used check for update on SQL Backup, I would get, Product Up to date. I would have to keep checking all my products until I found one that had an update.

Since the update exe is already calling a webservice it would be nice if I could call that web service, just like the check for update exe is calling it. I would just need the wsdl or the soap structure that is expected so I could check all versions of my products at once. ie one click that would issue multiple webservice calls and display the information back to my app.

Thanks
    Steve T