Options

New 3.6 feature does not honor formatting options

MikeyCMikeyC Posts: 249 Bronze 3
If you have your formatting options set to not add [] around candidates, but you type this code:

select * into #test from MASTER.dbo.spt_values;

select * from #<cursor>

At the cursor a suggestion pops up, and if you hit a completion key it inserts "[#test]" even though you have the option set to not add [].

Also, if instead of hitting the completion key at <cursor> you type a "t" it immediately goes to "No suggestions" even though "#t" matches "#test".

Comments

• Options
    Another small item I found is that a sort of 'rare' SELECT INTO query isn't recognized:

SELECT tx_id
    INTO #test3
    FROM edic_charges

UNION ALL

SELECT tx_id FROM edic_details;

SELECT * FROM #test3 WHERE #test3.<cursor>

After you hit the . it doesn't bring up any suggestions. If you take the UNION ALL part out it works OK. I don't know how many people use UNION <ALL> as part of a SELECT .. INTO statement, but I suspect not many, so it probably isn't a big deal.
  • Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Thanks for this. There's always something that slips through. As you've no doubt guessed, the first item is of much greater concern to us than the second. The frustrating thing is that I fixed it this afternoon in less than 10 minutes, however because we've just switched to a new branch, it's not been integrated into our build system it's just sitting on my office desktop at the moment.

Our plan is to see if anything else comes up over the next week, fix any major problems, of which we hope there won't be many, and then get a patch out within the next 4 weeks or so. This first problem is really very irritating, but things do occasionally slip through despite our best efforts. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    Another temp table related problem... Given these statements:

SELECT
    CAST(NULL AS NUMERIC(16,0)) AS tdl_id,
    tx_id,
    post_date,
    plan_id,
    c.payor_id
    INTO #DetailsForCredit
    FROM edic_details n
    LEFT JOIN Edic.dbo.COVERAGE c
    ON n.CUR_CVG_ID=c.COVERAGE_ID;

SELECT * FROM #DetailsForCredit
    WHERE #DetailsForCredit.<cursor>

Once you have typed the . right before <cursor> the suggestion box pops up with what you would expect, but does not include the payor_id field. It appears that by using the "c." alias in front of the field name that the field gets excluded from the suggestions.
  • Options
    It looks like 3.8.0.244 doesn't fix two of the issues I reported:

SELECT
    CAST(NULL AS NUMERIC(16,0)) AS tdl_id,
    tx_id,
    post_date,
    plan_id,
    c.payor_id
    INTO #DetailsForCredit
    FROM edic_details n
    LEFT JOIN Edic.dbo.COVERAGE c
    ON n.CUR_CVG_ID=c.COVERAGE_ID;

SELECT * FROM #DetailsForCredit
    WHERE #DetailsForCredit.<cursor>

Once you have typed the . right before <cursor> the suggestion box pops up with what you would expect, but does not include the payor_id field. It appears that by using the "c." alias in front of the field name that the field gets excluded from the suggestions.

SELECT tx_id
    INTO #test3
    FROM edic_charges

UNION ALL

SELECT tx_id FROM edic_details;

SELECT * FROM #test3 WHERE #test3.<cursor>

After you hit the . it doesn't bring up any suggestions. If you take the UNION ALL part out it works OK. I don't know how many people use UNION <ALL> as part of a SELECT .. INTO statement, but I suspect not many, so it probably isn't a big deal.

Michael