Options

SQL Prompt Performance

scotthibbsscotthibbs Posts: 18
edited December 8, 2007 4:04PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I wrote about this one before....and 3.5 is a bit better..performance wise.
However.....I seem to be turning off SQL prompt every time I edit scripts due to increasingly bad performance. SQL Prompt 2.0 worked great....never even knew it was there. These late versions are really bad. I am positive it's the product.....since I go up to the menu and click disable SQL prompt. Suddenly the cursor is moving normally. I like the features of the product, but am very dissapointed that it is always getting in the way of getting work done.

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Scott,

Sorry to see you're having problems. You haven't given me much to go on but if this:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=5457

is the kind of thing you're seeing then the workaround for now is to disable cross-database support.

We'll have a release out that fixes this problem within the next week or two.

You may also wish to check out the troubleshooting and tips sections in the web help, accessible via the SQL Prompt menu, which provide additional information on tuning the performance of Prompt.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    Yes........that is indeed the problem. Unchecked and performance is back to a good level. And I am also using integrated security with dbo priviledge...not sa.

Will look out for the update since we do use cross database in many cases.
  • Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Great, glad that fixed in for you Scott. I'm hoping to get an RC out tomorrow, probably fairly late in the day UK time so I'd suggest downloading that and giving it a try with the cross-database support enabled. Hopefully this will fix the problem, but if not we'll try something else since we don't want to let another release out that suffers from the issue.

Watch this space.

Cheers,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    With the new 3.6.0.109 I again experience slow performance but now on execution of SQL or most probbaly on rendering results in the grid in SQL Management Studio 2005??
    This problem exists only when I start SQL Studio with different account (with runas) and with it I have admin rights on the production server. Unchecking Cross database support does not help. Disabling SQL Prompt from the menu removes the problem - the query (simple select) executes for 00:00 and with enabled SQL Prompt it takes 00:01 (this is not shown in Client Statistics so only interface of SQL Studio is affected)
  • Options
    Are there some thoughts on my problem?

I have rolled back to previous version that I dont have this problem.
  • Options
    Hello,

I'm really sorry that you are still having perf problems. All the developers are out attending Tech Ed in Barcelona this week. I will try and find someone to investigate once we are back in the office on Monday.

Please accept my apologies,

Tom Harris
    Head of Development
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Are they two months there??
  • Options
    With the new 3.6.0.109 I again experience slow performance but now on execution of SQL or most probbaly on rendering results in the grid in SQL Management Studio 2005??
    This problem exists only when I start SQL Studio with different account (with runas) and with it I have admin rights on the production server. Unchecking Cross database support does not help. Disabling SQL Prompt from the menu removes the problem - the query (simple select) executes for 00:00 and with enabled SQL Prompt it takes 00:01 (this is not shown in Client Statistics so only interface of SQL Studio is affected)

Ive got the internal released version. Problem is still there. It seems that the problem is on the second instance of Micrsoft SQL Server Management Studio. Scenario is like that - I start with runas with different domain account a copy of the Management Studio and access production database - everything works fast. Then I start second copy with mine currently logged on account and it begins to lag. Refreshing results grid is slow, executing query is slow (Sometimes few seconds). In the first instance still everything is fast. Then I go to SQL Prompt options of this second instance and disable sql prompt availability and .. everything is Ok and fast - refreshing the grid, excution of queries and so on.
    I am on Windows XP, Pentium Core 2 Duo @ 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM...

There is also an exception with this version but I think is not related and will report it in another thread.
  • Options
    Many thanks for the extra information. We'll see if we can make any progress tracking it down.

Thanks, Tom