Update

DenisDenis Posts: 2
edited September 6, 2007 5:03AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Guys,

I have had SQL Prompt 3.10.1.0 installed and after checking for updates your Red Gate Update Service told me that there is a newest version available. But I didn’t find a way how to upgrade/download a new version from this dialog. The only way is to press View Details button that seems simply redirects me to your Downloads page.
Can I upgrade SQLPrompt from the Red Gate Update Service dialog directly without going to details page in web browser and installing it manually? Also is there any automatic check for updates? Say it pops me up with a dialog once a fresher version is available. That would be awesome.

Comments

• Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Denis,

Thanks for posting. You've actually inspired me to blog on the topic of software updates:

http://www.simple-talk.com/community/bl ... 35607.aspx

The whole thing gets me quite wound up, so everything in that post really is my opinion only and shouldn't be taken as the Red Gate company line at all.

I can't really say what we'll do in the future, although needless to say we've discussed greater levels of automation in the "Check for Updates" service. We didn't do it initially because we were concerned about a customer backlash, amongst other things.

My own preference is one mechanism for updating all the software on your computer, although that's obviously an ideal scenario, but my insider's perspective is that changing the way "Check for updates" works isn't on the horizon any time soon.

Hope that helps, and thanks again for raising the issue. I think there's room for some intelligent debate around this because as time goes on there's the potential that the situation may only worsen.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • So.......................how do you upgrade from 3.0 to 3.5? Do I download the trial?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks for asking. You're right -- downloading the trial version from the website will deliver exactly the same file as Check For Updates.